July 28, 2023
How To Become A Cosmetologist In Colorado
Colorado is known for its beauty. From the mountains to its landscape, the Centennial State offers stunning scenery that leaves a lasting impression. But Colorado’s beauty extends beyond that. The state is also known for its beauty industry! If you have a passion for hair, skin, and nails, then you might want to consider a career in cosmetology!
In this blog, we’re guiding you through the steps to becoming a cosmetologist in Colorado!
Meet The Admission Requirements
To enroll at Stacey James Institute, there are certain requirements and steps you need to follow:
- Age and Identification: Applicants must be at least 16 years old and provide two forms of identification, such as a social security card and a driver’s license or state identification with a photo ID.
- Education Requirements: High School Diploma, GED, a certified statement acknowledging the receipt of a high school diploma or GED, official junior high or high school transcript, or an ATB Test
- Application for Enrollment: Complete the Application for Enrollment, which includes personal information and educational background.
- Proof of Education and Age: Along with the application, provide documentation verifying your education and age.
- Transfer Hours (if applicable): If you have previous cosmetology training, submit certification of transfer hours before signing the registration contract. The acceptance of transfer hours is determined at the discretion of the Stacey James Institute.
It’s essential to ensure you meet these requirements and provide the necessary documentation to successfully enroll at the Stacey James Institute and begin your journey toward becoming a licensed cosmetologist in Colorado.
Enroll In A Cosmetology Program
The first step towards becoming a licensed cosmetologist is to complete an approved program! In Colorado, aspiring cosmetologists are required to complete 1,500 hours of training. Our experienced instructors provide the guidance and support you need so that you can successfully fulfill those training hours. At Stacey James Institute, our cosmetology program, can be completed in just about a year!
In our program, you can expect to learn:
- Shampooing, Rinsing, and Conditioning
- Hair Coloring
- Hair Styling
- Chemical Texture Services
- Manicuring and Pedicuring
- Application of Artificial Nails
- Facials and Skin Care
- Facial Makeup
- Hair Removal
- Law, Rules, and Regulations
- Management, Ethics, Interpersonal Skills, and Salesmanship
- Disinfection, Sanitation, and Safe Work Practices
Pass The State Licensing Exams
Once you’ve met the required hours, it’s time to pass the state licensing exams! It consists of both written and practical tests to assure you understand the different techniques and practices.
The written exam is 120 minutes and includes 135 questions. You must score at least 70 percent to pass. You can expect to be tested on the following:
- Safety, Sanitation, and Disinfection (20%)
- Client Consultation and Professional Conduct (6%)
- Hair, Skin, and Nail Structure (10%)
- Hair Cleansing and Scalp Care (5%)
- Hairstyling (7%)
- Haircutting (13%)
- Haircoloring (12%)
- Chemical Texture Services (11%)
- Esthetics (8%)
- Nail Care (8%)
The practical exam is 145 minutes and you can expect to be tested on the following:
- Acrylic Nail Application
- Nail Tip Application
- Chemical Services
- Makeup Service
- Manicure Service
- Thermal Curling Service
- Hair Cut Service
- Permanent Waving Service
- Tweezing and Waxing Service
- And more!
Start Your Career!
Now it’s time to step into the real world, congratulations! After obtaining your cosmetology license, you can explore various career opportunities in the beauty industry. Here are some potential careers you can pursue:
As a hair stylist, you’ll have the opportunity to work in a salon or barbershop, where you can unleash your creativity by offering a range of services. From hair cutting and styling to coloring, perming, and treatments, you’ll help clients achieve their desired looks.
As a makeup artist, you’ll be able to transform faces and create stunning looks for various occasions. Whether it’s bridal makeup, editorial shoots, fashion shows, or special events, you’ll use your expertise to enhance natural beauty and create unique styles.
As a nail technician, you’ll have the opportunity to offer manicures, pedicures, nail extensions, and nail art. You’ll pamper clients’ hands and feet, creating beautiful and well-groomed nails. Your creativity can shine through by providing intricate designs, incorporating the latest trends, or even specializing in techniques like gel or acrylic nails.
Salon or Spa Manager
With your cosmetology skills and industry experience, you can take on a managerial role in a salon or spa. As a manager, you’ll oversee the day-to-day operations, coordinate schedules, handle customer relations, manage inventory, and ensure the smooth running of the business. You’ll utilize both your technical expertise and leadership skills to create a positive and welcoming environment for both staff and clients.
Ready To Become A Cosmetologist?
Becoming a licensed cosmetologist in Colorado can be an exciting and rewarding career filled with creativity, growth, and opportunities. If you’re ready to pursue your passions, don’t hesitate to contact us! We look forward to helping you on your journey!